Choosing ignorance because it's easier
This statement has simmered in my mind for about a week. I was immediately caught off guard by the accuracy of this statement because I have found it to be true multiple times in my life (but had never thought about the reality of it). Then I felt bad for possibly making an assumption. Surely people without a formal education can receive counsel. It’s not the standard for how one accepts advice or wisdom.
But the more I’ve pondered it, the more I’ve come back to agreeing with the statement. Maybe not in terms of formal education. But the end part, the “accustomed to learning new things” part, is the key. People who think they already know the answers don’t think they need advice. People who believe they are doing all the right things and are quick to defend their choices don’t pause to wonder if they could use a different perspective. Those too busy being in everyone else’s business certainly don’t realize they could benefit from those on the outside who are observing them. These types of people have stopped learning and so they have stopped receiving.
I don’t have a formal education. But I try not to quit learning. And I always want to be teachable. I want to be approachable if someone makes a suggestion or notices an area I may be weak in. I want to be grateful for their kindness instead of offended by their audacity. The irony is that I am actually taking classes in order to be better equipped to counsel. The irony is that having wisdom from life experiences and gaining formal knowledge to walk in that has become offensive to some. I don’t behave as if I know everything, but it’s been interesting to ponder this statement in light of people who think they do.
I’ll end with the scriptures that came to mind as I thought on this idea. It turns out, this statement isn’t an original idea at all.
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7
“Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still: teach the righteous and they will add to their leaning.” Proverbs 9:9
“The wise accept instruction, but fools argue and bring trouble on themselves.” Proverbs 10:8
“Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.” Proverbs 11:14
“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel.” Proverbs 12:15
No comments:
Post a Comment