Sorry or Worry?
Interestingly, my husband and I picked different words; but if you know us, that wouldn’t surprise you.
I’ve never had a problem taking accountability for things I’ve done wrong and needed to apologize for. I have, however, taken on things that were *not* my responsibility and felt required to “fix” them by making amends. I’ve also inferred differences between me and others as mistakes on my part and felt the need to apologize for being different. I think I’ve gotten better at recognizing that as I’ve gotten older and stopped that behavior, but I’m a work in progress.
My husband, on the other hand, has always had the weight of his world on his shoulders, whether the weight was his to bear or not. He is an excellent planner and have envision possible scenarios. But he has often second guessed decisions and fine tuned Plans B - Z. He has taken blame that wasn’t his and allowed it to take root to the point of believing he was at fault. And he has let little things become big things due to the constant carousel of rumination.
What is also interesting is that by doing life together, we have built each other up and peeled away these damaging layers on one another. Over the years, we have been the support and encouragement the other needed as we unpacked the baggage we’d picked up from others, our environment, and our own misguided thoughts. We’ve been healing together and will continue to do so.
Neither of these words are bad. In appropriate context and healthy execution, they are both necessary for life. Accountability and caution are key factors to healthy relationships. So whichever word came to mind for you, I hope you can see where misperceptions have molded you, but how time and maturity has also healed you.
No comments:
Post a Comment